Job TitleSenior Analyst: Mechanical Engineer
Salary PackageR892 500.00- R 945 000.00
To perform reviews and assessments of applications from nuclear authorisation holders or applicants prior to the granting of nuclear authorisations.
- NQF Level 8 in Mechanical or related field
- Minimum of 6 years in Regulatory and/or relevant professional experience
- Understanding of the relevant legislation governing the nuclear regulation industry in South Africa
- In depth knowledge of the relevant engineering codes and standards (ASME, SANS, R-CCM etc.), that govern the design, manufacturing, procurement and related activities within the nuclear industry
- Experience in mechanical design analysis using finite element computer programs
- Working knowledge of the current licensing bases (SAR, KLBM, OTS, etc.) at a nuclear power plant
- Working knowledge of mechanical design principles including, procurement quality assurance, plant classifications, component specification development and plant configuration control
- Working knowledge of various engineering change processes (modifications, temporary alterations and equivalencies)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Based on in-depth and expert comprehension of established legal, regulatory and organizational documents, processes and guides that are applicable to the review and assessment of technical submissions, conduct reviews and assessments related to plant modifications, change to plant configuration, change to design bases and change to related processes.
- Review of changes to plant classifications and nuclear procurement specifications.
- Perform mechanical design analysis using computer programs.
- Provide input into the development of regulatory standards and practices and guides
- Participate in the supplier evaluations, assessment, surveillances and audits performed by the authorization holder
- Provide engineering support to the Compliance, Assurance and Enforcement (CAE) function, with respect to issues related to plant changes, classifications, specifications, equivalencies, commercial dedications, manufacturing and procurement quality assurance
- Represent organisation in meeting withexternal stakeholders
- Participate in other NNR work outside departmental as required e.g. emergency exercise etc.
- Mentoring of junior members
- Deputise for the manager on request
Skills and Competencies
- Proven leadership skills
- Capability to participate in complex negotiations
- Identifies problems and recommends solutions that are fit for purpose
- May specialise in one or more areas of technology or technical discipline